Sunday, July 29, 2012

Week One, Day Three

Another five steps along the preparation path for week one! Today's steps are all about shopping and cooking.

Step One: Prepare your inner shopper.

Once again this isn't actually a step but a heading they seem to have mistakenly put a check box next to. When I counted the check boxes for this week to determine how many steps I needed to tackle each day, I didn't catch that they put check boxes next to some (but not ALL) of the headings. Oh well. There are two videos to watch to tick this off. Here we go.

Step Two: Watch the How to Read Labels video.

You can find How to Read Labels here
It is four minutes long and talks about (obviously) reading labels, marketing, ingredients, additives and problem ingredients, food sensitivities, unfamiliar ingredients, and serving real food.

Step Three: Watch the How to Understand Basic Nutrition Facts video.

You can find How to Understand Basic Nutrition Facts here.
It is four minutes long and talks about glycemic load and phytonutrient index, serving sizes, whole plant foods, unprocessed foods, fiber, carbohydrates, fats, and oils.   

Step Four: Learn a few basic cooking skills.

As far as home cooks go, I consider myself fairly seasoned. No problems here.

Step Five: If you don't like to cook, complete the journaling exercise.

I *do* like to cook. I don't cook as often as I'd like to, usually because I don't have a plan or I don't feel like I have the time to throw something together. Often I fall trap to the 'we have lots of food but nothing SOUNDS good' issue - maybe that's a food addiction problem? I need to prioritize home cooking more than I do.
I also have been making cooking more enjoyable for myself with music.   I made a playlist on my phone - I just call it my 'energy' playlist - and I pump the tunes when I'm in the kitchen. It gets me moving and makes me feel good. I also think that feeling good when you cook makes the food taste better. I mean, really; who wants to eat food basted in hate and anger?



No comments:

Post a Comment