Friday, July 27, 2012

The Blood Sugar Solution

Here we go. I read the whole book and I'm giving it a try. I'm sick all the time, I can't seem to lose weight the way I'm trying to now (calorie counting and exercise, aka the things that are 'supposed' to work), and I can't control my blood sugar without extremely high doses of insulin. I can't stand it, I don't feel like I'm living most days. I just feel like I'm existing. I'm ready for a change. A drastic change,  even. I welcome you all to join me.

The program starts with a two-week preparatory phase. Welcome to week one! This week is a lot of exploring feelings, thoughts and attitudes, and also taking some baseline measurements. Today I'm looking at the first five steps.

Step one: starting a journal. Check! I will be journaling here AND on paper. Because there are some things I'm sure I won't want to share publicly. And also because I'm supposed to write down everything I eat, how it makes me feel, how I feel throughout the day, all my blood test results, all kinds of boring things that no one really wants to see day in, day out. I'm willing to bet even my doctor is going to see the tons of minute data and yawn. I do think it's important though until I can identify patterns and see improvements.

I took this picture while I was yelling at my kids to stop fighting. Hence the crazy eyes. Also it's from Photobooth so it's backwards, but look! Journal!
Step two: visit their website and sign up and stuff. Yadda yadda. I've poured over the website and I'm sure I'll do more with this as time goes on. I'm not sure about signing up for their 'community' just yet. More on that later. (Anyone else use it? Opinions?)

Step three: connect to my motivation! There's all sorts of questions to answer here.

Are you ready? Ready as I'll ever be! Seriously, I'm much more ready for this than I would have been at some other healthier point in my life. I feel so crappy all the time now that I'm desperate. The thing is, this plan really isn't even that crazy. It's very strict, especially for someone like me with this many health issues going on, but it's very reasonable. It's also not exactly 'new'. I'd come to a lot of these conclusions myself over the past few years of reading about health and supplements and diabetes and the myriad other issues I have. The book lays it all out in one place though, and was an easy quick interesting read, and tells me step by step what to do. Sometimes when things are overwhelming already it's really nice to have someone or something there just saying 'ok, now do this. Now do this. Now this.'.

I'll tackle the rest later today. Life is intervening! As it always does. No time for health!
...Styx's 'Too Much Time On My Hands' just came on the radio. Touche, life.



No comments:

Post a Comment