Sunday, January 8, 2012

Exercise

Dr. Christine Anderson has the BEST hair.
I'm pretty sure I bought this video because of it.
While it's largely true that what you put INTO your body is mainly responsible for your health, physical fitness is key for a healthy body too. It's been a while since I got any sort of structured exercise plan going. I live in Chicago and it's the middle of winter. While our winter this year has, thus far, been blessedly mild, it's still my least favorite season and I'm not going to be wandering out into the cold to get much walking in unless it's 50 degrees or warmer. So I headed to my DVD shelf to see what sorts of indoor offerings I've got.


The results were a tad dismal.


I've got...

  • Total Body Yoga For Beginners
  • Dr. Christine Anderson's DYNAMIC Prenatal Yoga
  • Kathy Smith's Pregnancy Workout
  • QF Postnatal Workout
  • Leisa Hart's FitMama Postnatal Workout


For reference here, my youngest child is five years old.

Clearly it's been a while.

My goal is to work my sedentary butt up... SLOWLY... to doing cardio, strength training, and yoga (or some kind of stretching / meditative type exercise). I think all three are important for a well-rounded fitness program.

I know I've got a strength training book around here somewhere... that Body For Life book. 12 weeks to muscle mania! Except not really. Slow and steady will win this race.

What's your favorite exercise video and/or program? What's hot and fun these days? I'm sure there are lots of free fitness programs on the web too. Probably youtube videos or even dedicated websites with videos for health. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I love the Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies ( http://tinyurl.com/7wkoc6v ). Sara Ivanhoe makes yoga accessible for nearly everyone and provides a good, challenging workout. You can see changes in strength and flexibility from workout to workout. It's fantastic.

    Any of the Bellydance Fitness DVDs with Veena and Neena Bidasha. ( http://tinyurl.com/8xoumb5 ). They make you hurt, they make you sweat, and they make you smile all through it. That's the attitude that makes all the difference.

    Add hand weights. I like the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt ( http://tinyurl.com/7svkspp ).

    Have you heard of Fitocracy? http://www.fitocracy.com Check it out--if you need an invite, I can send you one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of the bellydance videos but I've never seen them! I would really enjoy that though, I should check those out. I used to have one years ago (by some lady named Janine) and it was fun.

    I have hand weights around here somewhere. I'll have to dig them out, lol.

    I have not heard of fitocracy! I will take a look at it later tonight and let you know what I think :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete