Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Comparing Weight Loss to Financial Peace University

My husband and I recently began attending Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. (We've gone to two sessions thus far - I will be talking about this aspect of our lives more on my main blog.) One of my goals when we signed up was to take this knowledge and his methods and apply them in some fashion to not just our financial lives, but also to my quest to be healthier (and possibly even my quest for organization). As we go through each lesson, I have been spending some time thinking about how I would apply them to my weight loss / health plans.

Lesson one focuses on Super Saving. The upshot of the lesson is that you should strive, quickly, to save up $1,000 in an emergency fund (his Baby Step One) because saving money is important, because it's something that most people can do fairly quickly, because it provides peace of mind (in case of 'unexpected' events, you don't have to turn to your credit cards, which you are to stop using because they're bad for you!), and because it is a quick accomplishment that will make you feel good about this path and help jumpstart the process for you.

So, with that in mind... what would be the 'Super Saving / Baby Step One' equivalent for weight loss / living a healthier lifestyle?

Things I have considered...

1) taking a walk every day (jumpstarting exercise)
2) kitchen clean out - getting rid of all the crap foods in your house
3) identifying some quick, healthy meals to replace junk food and eating out in your life
4) BASIC kitchen refill, using step 3 as a guide

Any other ideas? Thoughts on the items I was considering?

No comments:

Post a Comment